Frequently Asked Questions

Here you find answers to the most frequently asked questions. Please read the information on this page carefully before contacting us directly. 


  • Completion of studies
  • Recognition of Examinations
  • Registration system
  • Doctorate
  • Status of your request
  • Exams
  • Student consultation
  • Course registration status
  • Transfer examinations to a different module within the same study programme
  • Curriculum Changes and Reforms
  • Admission and closure of studies



  • Who can supervise MA theses at the Institute of Philosophy?

    Please refer to the list of authorized supervisors and the topics they can supervise.

  • Who can act as a second examiner and chair the final MA examination?

    Only persons who are active staff members of the University of Vienna and have completed a doctoral degree in philosophy or are habilitated (titles that certainly indicate a habilitation) are eligible as second examiners: Priv.Doz. or Univ-Prof.)

    An internal lecturer with a doctorate is to be chosen as chair.

  • How do I register for my Master's examination?

    After successful approval (=positive assessment) of the Master's thesis, you can register your Master's examination.

    • To register for a Master's examination, send us the completed form via the Service Desk.
    • You have to coordinate the examination date with the first and second examiner and, during vacations, with the chair.
    • Your examination date must not be scheduled earlier than 14 days after the positive grading of your thesis.
  • What do I have to do to complete my studies?

    Detailed information on completing your studies can be found on our homepage on the respective subpages entitled "Degree" or "Degree and Master's thesis".

    Please make sure that the documents you send us are complete.



  • Can academic theses (MA theses, diploma theses) be recognized for another degree course?

    No, academic theses cannot be recognized. A separate thesis must be written for each degree program that requires an academic thesis.

  • Recognition Master Ethics

    Please pay attention to the Information and FAQs  on the recognition of credits and relevant prerequisites for the Master's in Ethics.

    Please note the information on the website and send us the application for recognition or the application for approval of relevant prior achievements via the Service Desk.

  • I would like to have credits from another degree program recognized for the Philosophy degree program.

    Please submit an application for recognition and send us all relevant documents to the Service Desk

    All information on submitting an application for recognition and the form can be found here.


    Please note: Extension curricula are an exception. In this case, only the SPL responsible for the EC can recognize the credits.

  • I would like to have courses recognized as an alternative extension.

    If you want to use courses that you have already completed within your philosophy degree programme for the EC, please fill out an application for recognition and enter the corresponding EC in the field "Should be recognized for the following degree programme" (e.g. EC Ethics).

    Please also make sure to register for the EC in u:space before submitting an application for recognition (Courses -> Extension curricula-> Register new EC). Send us the application for recognition via the Service Desk.

  • Can I use a credit twice in the same degree program?

    No. It is not permitted to use a course for two curriculum credits within the same degree program. It is also not permitted to complete two courses with the same title and the same lecturer.

Registration System


  • How does the registratin system of the University of Vienna work?

    Please refer to the page Registration System, where you will find general information as well as detailed instructions on registering for courses and exams.

Questions Regarding the Status of Your Request


  • Processing Deadlines

    The SSC Philosophy Team makes every effort to process your requests promptly. However, we ask for your patience should there be any delays. Before contacting us with questions about the status of your request, please note the deadlines prescribed by study law within which your request must be processed. If this deadline has already passed, please contact us via the Service Desk.

    Deadlines for the processing of applications stipulated by study law:

    • Recognitions: 2 months
    • Relevant prior achievements: 1 month
    • Transfer to the Current Curriculum: 3 months
    • Exam pass: 1 month
    • Examination pass: 1 month
    • Review period for Master's thesis: 2 months
    • Entry of grades: 1 month





  • Registration Deadlines For Examinations
    • Registration: up to 3 days before the exam
    • Deregistration: up to 24 hours before the exam
    • Exception: a 7-day deadline applies for the two STEOP courses, as these are major module examinations.

    If you have trouble registering for an exam, please contact us in a timely manner (within the registration period) using the Service Desk. Registrations outside of the registration period are not possible.

  • Questions about the Examination Procedure

    Please contact the responsible lecturer.

  • Questions Regarding the Supplementary Latin Exam

    Latin is a required supplementary examination for the BA Philosophy degree. The supplementary examination cannot be the last examination in your studies. You can find further information and useful links on the page Supplementary Latin Exam.

Registration Status


  • What does "pre-registered" ("vorgemerkt") mean?

    The status "pre-registered" means that you have registered for the course. However, due to the limited number of participants, it is not yet confirmed whether you will actually get a fixed place. Places are only allocated to students after the end of the registration period (= allocation run) - the status changes to "registered" or "waiting list".

  • What does "created" ("angelegt") mean?

    The status "created" appears in u:space if the registration for a course is still incomplete. This may be the case if not all steps of the registration have been completed or if, for example, certain requirements for the registration have not been met.

    Important: Data records in this status are not taken into account during the allocation!

  • What does "in process" ("In Bearbeitung") mean?

    The registration period has expired and the allocation of places or your record is being processed. This can take several hours. During this period you cannot make any changes.

  • What does "on waiting list" ("auf Warteliste") mean?

    You have not been assigned a place on the course. If other students deregister, you might be able to move up the list and get a free place.

    • If you are on the waiting list, please attend the first unit of the course as there may be free places.
    • Students who only receive a waiting list place for a course will be credited with the points they have earned in the following semester for registering for courses under the same curriculum point.
  • What does "registered" ("angemeldet") mean?

    You have successfully registered for the course.

  • What does "Alternative place received" ("Alternative erhalten") mean?

    The status "Alternative place received" means that although you have not been allocated a place in the course (LV) of your choice, you can take part in an alternative course for the curriculum point. The course registration has been completed.

    Please do not forget to deregister if necessary. If you do not, you will have to be assessed in the course and group for which you were registered (relevant for pi courses).